Southern Indiana Rehab Hospital uses Dartfish™ video technology as an integral part of their comprehensive rehab approach. This technology is state-of-the-art computer software that allows physical and occupational therapists to analyze patient movements such as gait, balance, upper extremity function, muscle imbalance and exercise performance. Dartfish™ is used by the Unites States Olympic Committee and is gradually being used more and more in healthcare settings.
Key Features and Benefits
- “Real time” digital video capture (click for sample video)
- Instant visual feedback for efficient analysis of movement and allows for an easy understanding of corrections that may need to be made.
- Uses exclusive drawing and measurement tools to show the correct movement
- Allows side by side comparison of video clips to analyze improvement and changes in movement
- Enables video clips to be superimposed upon one another to allow precise movement comparison
- Video analysis and content is made available in the form of a Mediabook which can be shared via CD, DVD, or email
Video analysis gives instant visual feedback in treatment sessions and allows the patients to see exactly what their body is doing. This enhances understanding of what the therapist is asking the patient to work on, thus aiding in the recovery process. The visual feedback improves overall body awareness and helps to improve how activities are being performed throughout the rehab process.
SIRH is currently using Video Movement Analysis in the following areas:
- Common Diagnoses: lower extremity amputation, brain injury stroke, Multiple Sclerosis, back pain, total hip and total knee replacements, vestibular and balance related disorder, sports injuries, etc
- Gait Analysis
- Balance Re-training
- Upper Extremity Function- used in conjunction with Saeboflex Program
- Injury Prevention
- Running and Walking Program
- Gof Performance and Fitness Program
- Exercise Performance